Two trips to Hua Hin so far and both times have been relaxing and worth it. Hua Hin is a 2-3 hour car ride from Bangkok, depending on traffic, and I always hire a driver to take me there and back. Both times have been for a long weekend and it is the perfect place for that. While the beach is nothing to rave about (compared the Australian beaches at home), it is a beach - when a quick and easy escape from Bangkok is needed. First time I went solo, second time was with R who was visiting from Japan during her Thanksgiving break.
First stay was at Baan Talay Dao in October 2017:
- Interesting history with lots of weathered, old, chunky wood.
- Friendly, helpful staff.
- Excellent in-room massage organised.
- Food was average and definitely Thai :) Of course I ordered my standard green curry and chicken satay for dinner! Breakfast was included.
- Jellyfish season so no swimming in the sea, pool was fine though.
- Lovely looooong morning walks along the beach, tide was then in for the rest of the day.
- Nothing much outside the gates on the main road. Mostly stayed inside the resort.
- Overcast and sporadic showers.
- I was the only Caucasian guest during my 3 day 2 night stay :) Thai and Chinese guests were the majority.
- Sooooo quiet. Just how I like it!
Second stay was at Putahracsa in November 2017:
- Flooding on the way down, but if its flooded - just keep going!
- Luxurious resort - reflected in the price :) Also some interesting history.
- Again, very quiet and peaceful.
- Breakfast included, delicious food and snack boxes prepared for us to take with us for early morning departure.
- Warm and sunny weather. Refreshing, cooling seas breezes. Pool was chilly!
- Day trip to Wildlife Friends Foundation Elephant Refuge. Searched high and low to find an ethical elephant experience. Was impressed with this visit and learned a lot!
- Could have done with another night in Hua Hin but R needed to catch her flight back to Tokyo from Don Muang Airport :(
I'm sure it won't be my last getaway to Hua Hin. In the meantime, I'm on the search for other easy long weekend destinations from Bangkok!